I can measure as tall as 30-35 meters at maturity. I used to be a common sight along rivers, but my species is today threatened by poplar crops and hybridization with cultivated poplars.
Where and when can you find me in the reserve ?
- I grow in wet soil in sunny areas. You can see several old specimens of my species along the footpath that follows the Vieux Rhin.
- I am a tall tree that you can see all through the year.
How can you recognize me ?
- The individuals that grow along the Vieux Rhin are very old as shown by their thick, very rough, craggy, dark bark.
- The trunks can be covered with bulbous protrusions called burls from which numerous small branches grow.
- My leaves are diamond shaped with a pointy tip.
What other species might you mistake me for ?
- At first glimpse, you might confuse me with other species of poplar.
- Red list of vascular plants in metropolitan France: Least Concern (LC).
- Red list of endangered vascular plants in Alsace: Least Concern (LC).
Remember that picking flowers and plants is prohibited in nature reserves.